Refer serious misconduct by a teacher in England

Contact the police if you think a child is in immediate danger.

The Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA) will only investigate cases where the misconduct is serious enough to potentially result in a teacher being stopped from teaching (known as a ‘prohibition order’).

You should provide any evidence to support your allegation, for example signed witness statements or previous complaints against the teacher.

All cases of incompetence and less serious misconduct should be dealt with by employers.

How long it will take to complete your referral

You should allow an hour or more to complete your referral. The time it will take depends on the case. It will be faster if you’ve prepared the evidence.

Start now